capetown castle ship

Capetown Castle was a motor ship (diesel) and was the largest motorship afloat when built.

In order to become a collaborator please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. The last two were built as Transvaal Castle and Pretoria Castle respectively and were transferred to Safmarine South Africa while still managed by Union-Castle Line.

Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!

This photo has been shown 213 times since it was added to the site. Transferred to the Union-Castle Line following the merger she was sold to the Russian Government in 1905 for use as a store ship in their war against the Japanese. 2012: 3955: 4400: 88 x 19: May 14, 22:13: NIGER DELTA KING. THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY. The ship was launched on 23 September 1937 and was a slightly enlarged version of the Stirling Castle and Athlone Castle of 1936. In the interests of uniformity please use one of the images attached to this project as "flags" for pioneers where there are no other photos available. Offshore Tug/Supply Ship.

Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

The last sailing on this historic route was completed … January to June: The records of ships used to carry troops to their theaters of operations were destroyed intentionally in 1951. The last two were built as Transvaal Castle and Pretoria Castle respectively and were transferred to Safmarine South Africa while still managed by Union-Castle Line.

"According to our [U. S. National Archives] records, in 1951 the Department of the Army destroyed all passenger lists, manifests, logs of vessels, and troop movement files of United States Army Transports for World War II." A few years later when under the command of The 5th Division from Canada I was on the Capetown Castle again going from Scotland to Naples, Italy. Only seven ships were required instead of eight, which included Windsor Castle, Pendennis Castle, Edinburgh Castle, S.A. Vaal and S.A. Oranje. In 1682 the gated entry replaced the old entrance, which had faced the sea.

2012: 3601: 3419: 74 x 19: The number of results is limited to 20. Formed 1900 by the merger of Union SS Co. and the Castle Mail Packet Co. 1912 Royal Mail group took over control of the company. RMS Windsor Castle was the largest passenger and cargo liner operated by the Union-Castle Line on its Cape Mail service between Britain and South Africa. Also include their Ship name and arrival date if known, and if possible, the Ship's list.

Contact

 

LINE Contact